#MyEnlightenedSummer Series: Caramelized Bananas
I recently had the opportunity of working with the brand Enlightened and their delicious, healthy ice creams!
I know National Ice Cream Day was a couple days ago, but I'm still celebrating... because why not?! I'm starting a short series called #MyEnlightenedSummer - featuring some delicious ice cream ideas and recipes. I definitely feel less guilty eating Enlightened ice creams because they're high in protein, low in sugar, and still taste amazing!
Today, I wanted to highlight one of their flavors, Bananas Foster, and how you can add a special twist to it for a fancy dessert, or if you're just feeling a little extra :)
All you need to do is add some caramel, crushed graham crackers (I used cinnamon graham crackers from Trader Joe's!) and caramelized bananas!
Here is a recipe for super simple caramelized bananas:
- 1 banana (you don't want it too ripe because it will be too soft to handle)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- optional: rum, Grand Marnier, orange juice
- Either slice your banana in 1/2 to 1 inch slices, or slice them lengthwise.
- Add your butter to a nonstick pan, and let it melt completely over medium low heat.
- Sprinkle your brown sugar and cinnamon over the butter, then add in your banana slices.
- After about 30 seconds, check the bottom of your bananas and see if they have browned enough. Then you can flip them over and cook for another 30 seconds or until they are browned to your liking.
- This is optional, but you can also add a dash of rum, Grand Marnier, or orange juice and let it cook for a couple seconds, swirling the pan around to get all the liquid around the bananas.
- Serve immediately!
You can either pour this deliciousness over some ice cream, or even some french toast, pancakes, or yogurt!
Stay tuned to see even more ice cream ideas this summer :)
Styling: Natalie Choi Events
Photography: Yasmin Roohi Photo
Ice Cream: Enlightened